Founded in 1938, Lexington Children's Theatre LCT is a fully professional, non‐profit organization dedicated to the intellectual and cultural enrichment of young people. We are a values-based company guided by our mission statement and beliefs.
LCT creates imaginative and compelling theatre experiences for young people and families.
We share a collective aspiration to impart, explore, foster, and develop artistry at all levels and ages in every theatrical discipline and educational opportunity.
We are one of the oldest continuously operating theatres for young people in the country and are proud to be the State Children’s Theatre of Kentucky, a distinction granted to LCT by the Kentucky Legislature in 1986.
- In the transformational power of theatre arts.
- The artistic process should inform all aspects of the theatre’s operation including leadership, governance, and administration.
- Works of high artistic quality awaken new ideas, stimulate change, and encourage creative thinking.
- In a collaborative process of theatre that inspires and challenges artists and audiences alike.
- That community can be strengthened through the exploration of the human condition.
- In integrity and respect at all levels of engagement.
- In reflecting the diversity and aesthetic interests of our community
- That early theatre experiences foster a lifelong appreciation for the arts and its role in society.
- In the advocacy for and advancement of Theatre for Young Audiences.
- In an environment of trust, generosity, and shared vision.
AT LCT, WE:
- Provide professional theatre experiences for young audiences
- Provide quality theatre education for young people. Annually, LCT provides quality theatre experiences and theatre arts education for as many as 130,000 children throughout the state of Kentucky.
- Employ 40‐60 actors, teachers, administrators, technicians, designers, company members, professional interns, and other artists each year
- Produce Main Stage productions with professional adult actors performing for youth that also travel as regional performances to other performance venues throughout the state and region.
- Produce touring productions that travel throughout the state of Kentucky and beyond to perform in schools, libraries, and community centers.
- Produce discovery series productions, designed to afford young people with professional live theatre experience in all areas of artistic and technical production.
- Implement a four‐quarter, on‐site Theatre School for ages 4‐18, two acting companies for teenagers, an elite musical theatre group, two Theatre in Education initiatives, and statewide outreach education programming.
- Operate a satellite program called Shooting Stars Youtheatre that serves Elliott and Rowan counties through classes, workshops, and performance opportunities.