Lexington Children’s Theatre is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels welcome to enjoy the magic of theatre.
SENSORY FRIENDLY PERFORMANCES
Sensory friendly performances are designed to be a safe environment for young people with sensory sensitivities or disabilities as well as first time theatre goers. We encourage patrons to speak freely, respond, and move around the seating area in reaction to the story. Environmental elements including lighting and sound are also altered to make the space more comfortable for our sensory sensitive audience members. All Sensory Friendly performances are also Pay What You Will - call or visit our Box Office to pay whatever you would like for your tickets to these shows.
For Sensory Friendly performances:
- We will make some environmental alterations to lighting and sound:
- The house lights will remain dimmed during the performance, rather than off.
- Lighting effects such as strobe or flashing lights will be slightly dimmer or may not be used.
- We reduce the volume of the recorded sound in particularly noisy moments.
- We will use glow sticks to indicate where potentially loud noises, big movements, changes, or potentially scary moments may occur.
- All seating will be general admission to better accommodate individual family needs.
- Each family will have more space to spread out in the theatre before, during, and after the performance.
- The board room or an LCT office will be available as a quiet space for anyone who needs to take a break from the production.
- The lobby will be available for anyone to listen and watch the production on a television monitor if that is their preference.
- We can provide sensory supports (sunglasses, noise cancelling ear-muffs) in the lobby before the show upon request.
- Families are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort objects, and extra support items to the show.
- Use of notebook computers or other electronic devices will be permitted.
- Trained staff will be available to guide patrons to and from the lobby as needed.
- You can meet the actors in the lobby before the production, take photos, and and ask them questions about the show you are about to see.
- For a description of the space and your experience read the Main Stage social story or watch our introductory video below.
- To learn more about the play and the story you are about to see, take a look at our production Play Guides available below.
- ‘Meet Your Seat’ opportunities are provided to reduce stress and support successful priming for the actual event. To schedule a Meet Your Seat visit prior to your scheduled performance date, email email@example.com.
2022/2023 Sensory Friendly Performances:
- Puss in Boots – Saturday, October 22nd at 2:00pm
- Anansi the Spider – Sunday, April 16th at 4:30pm
- Electric Blue: A Tale from the Reef – Saturday, May 6th & 13th at 11:00am
Click on the links above for tickets. Please call 859.254.4546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions!
Narration services are available upon request for all first Sunday at 2:00pm performances.
To request this service please call or email Erin McGuire-Thompson at 859.254.4546 x222 or email@example.com at least two weeks prior to the performance.
American Sign Language interpretation is available upon request for all first Sunday at 2:00pm performances.
To request this service or with questions about school matinee interpreters please call or email Erin McGuire-Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859.254.4546 x222 at least two weeks prior to the performance.
ACCESS SEATING & DROP OFF
Accessible seating is available in our Main Stage - we have front-row spaces someone using a wheelchair can utilize, seats on the floor and second row that eliminate or reduce the need for climbing stairs. To reserve accessible seats please call the Box Office at 859.254.4546 x245.
A “Drop-Off” zone is located directly in front of the theatre at 418 W Short Street. Patrons are welcome to drop off family members who may have impaired mobility in this zone prior to any performance.