Family Weekend Performance Dates: September 16-17 & 24, 2023
School Matinee Performance Dates: September 19-29, 2023
On Tour: September 11 – December 16, 2023
- Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader
- PBS Kids / Alma’s Way
The Larry and Vivian Snipes Main Stage
Prices: $20/Adult, $15/Child, $10/Members
By Miriam Gonzales
Lizzy and Leo Martinez have a plan – they want to be the “smartest kids in the world!” Studious Leo is convinced that winning a local TV quiz show is the first step to a better life for their family. Maybe he and Lizzy can even take their hardworking mami and papi on vacation to Hawaii! But when their parents refuse to let Leo participate in the quiz show, Lizzy decides to grow up, step up, and complete the plan herself.
Are you an educator? Schedule your Smartest Girl field trip by September 12 and get $2 off every ticket.
Join us at a family weekend performance and present your teacher ID for one free ticket!
See below for show times and booking information.
Discover More Event: Mexican Independence Quiz Bowl
Saturday, September 16 – 8:00pm *Immediately following the 7:00pm Pay What You Will performance.
Show off your knowledge of Mexican Independence Day and Hispanic Culture! On September 16th, take advantage of LCT’s Pay What You Will performance of The Smartest Girl in the World, then stick around after for a Quiz Bowl style event hosted by Casa de la Cultura and Lexington Children’s Theatre.
*Pay What You Will tickets cannot be purchased online, but can be reserved ahead of time by calling our Box Office at 859.254.4546 x245. Learn more on our Pay What You Will page.
Proudly sponsored by:
Our School Matinee Performances allow you to bring your students to the theatre for an unforgettable field trip!
Recommended for Grades 3rd-8th
Curricular Connections: Spanish Language, Family Relationships, Dealing with Conflict
Tuesday, September 19 – 10:00am & 11:45am
Wednesday, September 20 – 10:00am & 11:45am
Thursday, September 21 – 10:00am & 11:45am
Friday, September 22 – 10:00am
Wednesday, September 27 – 10:00am & 11:45am
Thursday, September 28 – 10:00am & 11:45am
Friday, September 29 – 10:00am & 11:45am
School Group Rate: $8 per seat with every 10th seat FREE!
Individual Rate: $12 per seat
In-School Touring Performances
This show is also a Touring Production, which means it can travel to your school, library, or other venue and perform there.
Touring Dates: September 11 – December 16, 2023
Things to Know Before the Show
Sound & Lighting
Get Ready For:
- Lots of imagination. Superhero stories, imagining history, as told by kids.
- Sibling love/family bonds – they'll always be there for each other.
- This story is full of big emotions – joy and sorrow, anger and triumph. If you don’t mind spoilers, read below for a more in-depth breakdown.
- Leo’s parents saying he can’t go to the game show – raised voices
- We learn Leo is sick, he has Sickle Cell Anemia. Aunt Kid explains the science of it in a kid-friendly way.
- Lizzy gets into a sticky situation. Leo reacts and then yells at Lizzy because he’s upset, calling her “a baby.” Lizzy talks to her aunt later and her conclusion is that very kid thing of big emotions “Leo hates me. And, I hate him.”
- It’s implied but not stated outright that Leo is thinking of running away from home at his most upset, as he holds onto a suitcase. He never acts on this.
- We will have more information about sound and lights after rehearsals wrap up the week after Labor Day. Check back after then for more information!
- Moments of raised voices/arguments throughout the show